5.28.2011

Lesson #51

Today's Lesson Objective includes:

1.) Being a safe driver.

This is a lesson I can't joke around with or make fun of. I take this very seriously, as it as affected my personal life very deeply.

April was "Distracted Driving Awareness Month," so I missed that boat. Let's just call this a little late, yes?

Meet my awesome cousin Neil in 2008:
He was a senior in high school, ready to go to college, and one of the funniest people I knew. Seriously, I loved hanging out with him.

In January of 2009, Neil was driving back from a concert with his friend. He was sober and he wasn't texting, but he was driving too fast, which is something I am certainly guilty of. He hit some ice and his car spun around before hitting a tree.

Neil was so lucky that day, as you can see from this picture. However, he was life-flighted to a nearby hospital and was in a coma for awhile. He had to have several surgeries and LOTS of rehabilitation.

Meet Neil after months of surgery and therapy:

See that dent in the side of his head? That's where the doctor took out part of Neil's skull because his brain was swelling due to the trauma of the accident.



Neil has come a long way since then. He's gone through months and months of rehabilitation, relearning how to do simple things like walking and using his left hand (it was paralyzed). He's gone back to school and he volunteers with Alzheimer's patients. He was even on MTV's True Life! Watch the full episode here. It's awesome.

Recently, Neil was asked to be the keynote speaker at an awards ceremony for high schools that have been creating projects to promote safe teen driving. Please watch this video. His speech is amazing! And inspiring. Also, the script is written below if you want to better follow along.



Good morning. As you all know, car accidents are the primary cause of death and disability among adolescents. And here I am, in front of you, a specimen of these facts.

In the beginning of 2009, around midnight, I was driving home from a concert, sober, not texting, or on my phone, but I was going too fast. When I was about three miles from home, I somehow lost control and spun into a tree. The next thing I knew, it was months later and I didn’t know where I was. All I knew was that I was missing half my skull and my brain's gears weren't up to the task of understanding yet. I couldn’t walk, let alone speak.

Fast forward and here I am in front of you. These past two and a half years have been filled with nonstop therapy and school to recover as much of myself as possible. Time has stopped for me. I’m stuck in neutral. My friends have continued forward and left me in the dust. Before my accident, I had a large group of friends and I was constantly out with them. Now, my friends feel awkward, not knowing how to treat or act around me. Before the accident, I often went to concerts. Now, I have yet to go to one. Before the accident, I was constantly out seeing movies. Only recently have I been able to follow the story line of a full length film. Before the accident, I had a season pass to go snowboarding. This past winter, was the first time I was able to be on a board again trying to regain my skills. My processing speed is slower, my vision is not the same; neither is my balance. Before the accident I would be out with friends every weekend playing video games. I don’t have the dexterity to play them now. Before my accident, I was accepted into my first-choice college, but now I am just working to recover some of the skills that I lost; in high school of all places! My future may or may not include college.

Although my life has been changed dramatically, I have tried to make the best of my situation and have found positive experiences. For instance I'm glad I've had this opportunity to be involved with your program. Maybe my story will influence others to not make the same, or similar mistakes.

I am here today to tell you that the projects you have developed for this event will be helpful even if you only save one teen’s life from a car crash. It’s easy for us to tune out adults when they tell us to slow down, not text, or don’t drink and drive. But maybe teens will listen to you. Hopefully, your messages will open the eyes and ears of those who need them most, the teens of New Jersey, including your friends.

Thank you.





So. Meet my cousin Neil:

He's amazing. I'm so proud of him! And I can't wait to see him this summer :]





What I really wanted to say here is that I BEG of you to be careful out there. Neil was lucky. A lot of people aren't. I know we all speed and occasionally text or eat or whatever while driving, but please please PLEASE keep your eyes on the road. Slow down. Don't drive when you're sleepy. I love all of you too much.

2 comments: