3.07.2011

Lesson #31

Today's Lesson Objective includes:

1.) Service.

Maybe some of you know me, and I'm sure a lot of you don't. Yet I guess one thing I've come to be known for by everyone is my "interesting" career choice - international development.

The ideal job would be working on a grassroots level with people, working on projects such as keeping girls in school, teaching healthier childbirth practices, and getting clean water to remote villages. I'd love to work specifically with women, as their condition tends to be much worse than their male counterparts.

This isn't what I'm writing about in this post, however. I'd like to talk about real service, something that Americans are either very genuine about or really terrible at. I want to address some issues that really bother me about the way things are done in this country with regards to aid and service.

a.) STOP using the word "help." When you use that term to describe what you're doing for someone else it implies superiority. This is what it sounds like: "I am 'helping' you because I am obviously more equipped to solve your problems than you are." Never use that word. Acceptable verbs include: serve, aid (sometimes), enable, and empower. But never "help."

b.) Money is a very useful tool to fund important programs, but Americans are infamous for their aid programs that do more harm than good. Before you donate money to an organization or "cause," do your research. Are they sustainable? What impact do they have on a community? Do people actually benefit?
ps. When in doubt, donate to The Church of Latter-day Saints. I'm not just saying that because I have strong ties to the church. They have one of the best humanitarian programs out there, not just abroad but also within the States. If you're looking for more specific causes, ask me sometime and I can get you a list of good organizations.

c.) You don't have to go abroad to do real service. In fact, a lot of times going to volunteer in developing countries is completely useless. I believe people can make a lot of difference within their own communities, and most of the time that's exactly where their skills can best be utilized.

d.) Contrary to what I'm sure your Sunday school lessons have taught you, I don't believe smiling at someone is an act of service. At least go up and talk to the person and ask them how their day is, or tell them they look nice. SOMETHING. Just don't count smiling as a service.

e.) My hopes for a future career is just that - a career. I don't want to go to these countries to feel good about myself or "help" other people. I'm not by any means a better person for choosing to do what I do. I am developing skills that I believe can be best utilized in developing countries. I believe that I have been born with certain talents and abilities that enable me to be able to live in developing countries and be effective.

I find happiness in what I do, but I hope that everyone could do the same in whatever they do, no matter the occupation.

That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment