7.27.2010

Lessons from Haiti

If you ever plan on going to Haiti in the near future, I recommend preparing yourself. Here is a list of all things Haitian:

1. Sweat. It's everywhere. You can't escape it. Bring lots of extra clothes - you'll soak through at least 2 outfits a day.
2. Haitian women don't wear bras. Yikes.
3. I thoroughly recommend bringing a gun to kill all the annoying dogs and roosters that make too much noise while you're trying to sleep.
4. Mangoes = diarrhea and rice = constipation. Eat a healthy mix and your poop will be fine.
5. Shorts. Highly recommended, but with a hefty dose of bug spray.
6. I hate stupid Americans that don't know what development is or how it should work.
7. Haitian kids are the cutest things on the planet and they deserve so much better then what they have.
8. Watch out for those Haitian men, ladies. They will creep you right out of the country.
9. Learn creole. They really appreciate that.
10. The food, the water, the driving - just don't think about it. You will survive as long as you pretend everything is normal.

The one major thing I personally learned from this experience is that I want to do development work for the rest of my life. I don't see how my life could be any more fulfilling.






1 comment:

  1. LOU! YOU'RE BACK! I cannot wait to hear about all of your adventures in person.

    ReplyDelete