4.03.2013

Listen.

It is currently 1:26am and I should be sleeping. But I can't. I will write a blog post. Yes.

Well hey hey! Guess what! The world has changed a lot in the past 18 months. Actually not really. Bit a little bit, yes. I guess the basic ideas of a crumbling society are still in place, but the conversations are evolving and everyone is in a tizzy.

I am aware that you are all sweating in anticipation to partake of and rejoice in my infinite wisdom, and so I will address two of the hot [and extremely exhausted] topics of the season: gay marriage and women in the Church.

As usual, my blogs are strictly my opinions (thank goodness) and I do not claim to be any sort of spokesperson for my LDS faith.

And so.

Gay marriage.
Honestly, I'm not for or against gay marriage. Do what you freaking want, folks. My only beef with this topic is the sudden justification of hatred for one another, demonstrated from both parties of this "issue." Why can't we be friends?!

I recently read a horrifying comment on facebook. One of my friends expressed their desire for marriage equality, as many did in the past week, by uploading the picture of the red equals sign. You know what I'm talking about, right? It was all the rage. Anyway. My friend happens to be LDS, or Mormon if you will, and the LDS church has stated their views on the subject quite openly. Another person, presumably of our same faith , commented on the picture with something to the effect of (and really I'm not doing it justice), "Maybe you should find another church instead of trying to change the Church's view to fit yours."

Um...excuse me?

First of all, if we believe the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to be the literal church of Christ on the earth today, why in the HELL would we suggest others to figuratively "take a hike," as if they weren't allowed into our elitist sphere? The point of a church is to be a safe haven - a place people can come to nurture themselves spiritually. It's a hospital for souls, not a country club of "perfected" Christians.

Putting all that aside, we're all aware that the Church has made their stand. But where does Christ stand? They're not the same entity. Jesus Christ is the embodiment of mercy to me. He loves unconditionally. He doesn't care what you've done or where you are in life or what situation you were born into. He sees us as the people we can become. I believe that every tear we shed is a ache that He feels. He mourns with us and comforts us. He wants us to have eternal happiness. That is His "view." And maybe, just maybe, when we try to see others in this way we will be able to comprehend a tiny particle of His love for them. Perhaps people who support marriage equality are not trying to tear down the Church or undermine authority, but they are trying to understand what it must feel like to be told that your feelings for other people are a sin, that you must live a life alone if you are to please God, that in a sense your very self offends the supposedly loving Father who created you.

This, of course, goes the other way around. Although many people oppose gay marriage, I would like to think that most of them do not mean it to be offensive in any way. They still express love and concern for those who identify as homosexuals, and often defend their loved ones. Their reasons for opposing gay marriage may be of a political or religious nature, and that is to be respected.

I pray for a world that is kinder and more gracious, especially when discussing these extremely important topics. I suggest that we all love each other. All in favor?




Well, now I am tired. I am going to have to leave you hanging on the women in the Church. Don't cry, I pinky promise to write again soon.

Love to you all.




2 comments: