4.18.2013

Listen (continued).

Alright.

I promised I would express my post-mission feelings about women in the church. Avec plaisir, my friends.

I identify myself as a Mormon Feminist. No, I don't need to use this title. But I like it - it's a precise summary of exactly who I am.

I believe men and women are equal in the eyes of God. Radical, I know. This belief has fueled my passions specifically in the direction of international women's rights, but I support all movements that strive for equality among men and women.

In the context of the gospel of Jesus Christ, I believe women are equal. Within the Mormon church, I believe we have work to do. And yes, I do see them separately.

Throughout the Bible there are evidences of women as priestesses, judges, and leaders. Christ himself held women in a position of preeminence. They were present at every stage of his life - Mary his mother, Anna the Prophetess, Mary, Martha, the countless women he healed, etc. They were the last ones with him as he died on the cross, and to Mary Magdalene, a woman, he first appeared after his Resurrection. After Christ's Ascension, women played very important roles in the early beginnings of Christianity (see here).

This is a picture of the prominent leaders of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.



They are all very good people. They also happen to be all men, most of which are white Americans. I find this a bit troubling, considering that most of the members of the church are not American, and at least half of them are women.

This, as we are all aware, has to do with priesthood authority, something that women at the present time do not posses. If you have interest in reading more about the potential for women's ordination, please click here. Although I am sympathetic to the cause of ordination of women to the priesthood, my personal concerns with the church do not at present lie in priesthood ordination policies and procedures.

I am concerned that there are not more leadership positions within the church for women, even when there could be. I am concerned that prescribing gender roles can inhibit men and women from exploring their divine qualities and talents. I am concerned that cultural habits within the church promote inappropriate behaviors and discourage diversity.

I know my worth. I know that I am equal in the eyes of God. I am a proud member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

And I am not ashamed of asking questions.




Fellow Mormon Feminists:
Feminist Mormon Housewives
Young Mormon Feminists
Ask Mormon Girl

If you have any questions or comments, please respond below. I'd love your feedback.



6 comments:

  1. Love you Lesa. And I heartily agree with you. Tradition can be a great threat to equality and progress. I also think there's more important ways to catalyze change than putting women in traditionally male roles. A balance of leadership would be welcomed in my mind, in many forms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed, agreed. I would like to have a discussion sometime with you about the Priesthood and women sometime. To me the biggest problem is precisely what you said: "I am concerned that cultural habits within the church promote inappropriate behaviors and discourage diversity."

    So what is your approach? Do you think change should be made top-down (leadership), or bottom-up (cultural, individual), and where would someone like you fit into that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lesa, my wonderful niece! Oma, bless her heart, would have loved to have this conversation with you. You are a very courageous young woman, and I admire you very much for expressing what you believe in, and saying it so eloquently.

    I'll be following you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lesa, my wonderful niece! Oma, bless her heart, would have loved to have this conversation with you. You are a very courageous young woman, and I admire you very much for expressing what you believe in, and saying it so eloquently.

    I'll be following you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have enjoyed reading your articles. It is well written. It looks like you spend a large amount of time and effort in writing the blog. I am appreciating your effort. You can visit my website.
    life lessons

    ReplyDelete