12.01.2010

Lesson #26

Today's Lesson Objective includes:

1. Women.

That's right. I'm stepping on the feminist soap box.

Let me tell you something about the culture I live in. It mostly consists of women (at the age of 19) and men (at the age of 22) getting married and having lots of babies and living happily ever after in their little 1950's world. So naturally, this being our most important objective in life, a university is created to facilitate the process of getting these young folks together in one place so they can meet and fall in love.

You can disagree with me (a lot of people do), but it's basically created an environment of everyone sizing each other up as their eternal mate. I feel like guys have some sort of a checklist they carry around and if you say one thing wrong like "I actually really like gay people" they immediately cross you off of their list. Fine by me, you homophobic.

SO. Me, being more of the independent/"I want to have a career"/I'm a democrat type, I've been crossed off of several lists. Or maybe all of them. Do I care? Hell no.

I have a problem with the system. I have a problem with these expectations and stereotypes I'm expected to fill. Doesn't anyone else? I think this sort of life is wonderful for people who really do want to live that way. I just wonder how many people out there feel obligated more than they feel the actual desire.

At least there's me, one of the misfits. So I would like every boy on this earth to know that saying,

"You are so lucky you're a woman. You can major in whatever you want because you'll get married,"

IS NOT OK. And the last boy that said that to me got a talkin'-to.

I AM A WOMAN. I have hopes and dreams and goals that I will achieve because I want to! No man and no religion will EVER pressure me into filling societal roles and expectations. If I get married it will be because I WANT TO GET MARRIED. If I have children it will be because I WANT TO HAVE CHILDREN. And damnit, if I want to stay at home instead of work then it will be because I WANT TO.

For the record, boys, I hate Sarah Palin. I want to have a career and change the world. Oh, and I don't want to live in America because it's a little too capitalist for me. So please do me the favor and check me off of your lists right now. I'd rather just be your friend anyway.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damnit, Lesa... YOU GO!
    I love this third wave thought process you're working through.
    Good for you for realizing that the culture you're living is askew.
    I'm moving back to Omaha for a while, come with me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do agree...though I would point out that Pres. Monson said recently that if your objective in coming to byu is to get married then this is not the right place for you.

    OBVIOUSLY no one buys that, but I take comfort that it wasn't made to do that.

    ReplyDelete